Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Say what you mean

I've always enjoyed words and grammar.  Subtle mini-cringes roll through me when I hear phrases like:  
  • Hopefully, the flight will arrive on time....   [the flight can only hope..]
  • We are anxious to see you....  [what are you afraid of?  oh, you mean eager..]
  • If a teenager wants to be taken seriously, they should....  [did he suddenly sprout a clone?]
Professional jargon can elevate lazy language to hilarious levels.  In 45 years of nursing, I've heard some beauties.  Consider the confusion between regime and regimen.  Practitioners at every level of health care will speak and write of someone's medication regime when they mean medication regimen.  The phrase "bowel regime" must be used a millions times a day across this country. 

Definitions (from dictionary.com):
regime - mode or system of rule or government
regimen - a regulated course . . . . . to attain some result

I don't want to imagine what life would be like under a Bowel Regime .

1 comment:

  1. Oh Liz, I'm so glad you put your blog address on your block lotto posting! I write a lot of reports and edit other people's reports and I can so identify with Say What You Mean!
    I work at a university so if there is an obscure word that can be used, people here will use it. Often a common word will be more appropriate, but, alas, academics love to show off their knowledge. On the bright side, this environment has increased my vocabulary!
    In a way, my block deals with words too: http://vegasplates.blogspot.com
    Check it out if you have time!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete